Over the past year, EEL and its members have made a real impact despite incredibly challenging conditions in Western Ethiopia. Together we have:
• Successfully raised over £8,200 in the Big Give Christmas Challenge that has enabled us to continue the employment of now 35 school librarians in Western Ethiopia throughout 2022. This in turn has resulted in over 10,000 children a month attending libraries and a safe place to study.
• Supported disabled children in school including now 34 deaf students accessing mainstream secondary education.
• Sustained our girls’ bike club which has gained significant media attention and continues to build self-esteem and confidence amongst female students.
A big thank you to everyone for your continued support to make this happen.
However, as we move forward into our Year of the Girl we feel that the current format of EEL will need to adapt and change. The funding climate is such that our large grants are unfortunately coming to an end and there is little possibility of obtaining any new ones in the near future. In addition, some trustees and other volunteers have had to step down or reduce their time commitments. This has caused a severe strain on our ability to effectively run the charity.
So to continue to work productively we are asking if you, or any of your contacts, might be interested in contributing in the following ways:
The transfer of responsibility of treasurer can be a phased process to give time for training and induction
Trustees and volunteers
We will give full support. The qualification required is enthusiasm and a little time. Most roles require less than 2 hours per month.
1. Trustee or volunteer to support project liaison in Nekemte
2. Trustee or volunteer to support member engagement and fundraising
3. Trustee willing to support general business
4. Trustee willing to support maintenance of policies
With your help we can continue to make a REAL difference in Ethiopia.
We would love to hear from you or anyone you know who might be able to help. Please contact Dawn Swettenham for more details / role descriptions by email firstname.lastname@example.org
or, for an informal chat, call Dawn on 07733 103429