Supporting students with hearing impairment to attend secondary school.
Since 2013 Exeter Ethiopia Link has supported young people with hearing loss who graduate from the Nekemte School for the Deaf to continue on to secondary school. We campaigned, with the School for the Deaf, for signing teachers to be provided in some mainstream schools, and with additional tutorials funded by Exeter Ethiopia Link the 37 students who we support have made remarkable progress. We now need to find accommodation for these students and we are looking for sponsors to help us keep these young people in education.
The church of Sweden funds the Nekemte School for the Deaf for students up to Grade 8, but there is no funding available to support the students as they move into further education.
EEL has committed to provide funding to cover the accommodation and food costs of students who graduate from the Nekemte School for the Deaf while they study at secondary school. We will also cover the costs of additional tuition, books and medical care. EEL hopes to set up an income generating project for the students, enabling them to raise money to contribute to their support.
Help us by contributing to our Sponsorship Scheme.
We are not proposing that you sponsor a named individual student, but rather, that you contribute to the costs of the group. We suggest sponsors might choose to contribute £180 a year, but any sum of money will be valuable and contribute to the future of these young people’s lives.
For more on the reasons why we support collective sponsorship rather than individual sponsorship, and to see how you can get involved in sponsorship, please see our Sponsorship page.
- Exeter Ethiopia Link provides support for High Achieving Disabled or Disadvantaged students to access further education
- Exeter Ethiopia Link has supported the unit for children with Special Educational Needs at Birka Bekumsa Elementary School by providing funding for furniture and by donating resources.
- The Inclusive Education Project is a 3 year project that identifies children with special needs and makes it possible for them to attend school, and also provides literacy courses and other support for adults with disabilities to encourage them to attend short courses and provide loans to help them set up income generating projects. You can read more about this project by looking at Current Projects on the Education Page of our website.
- Exeter Ethiopia Link has supported the Nekemte ‘School for the Deaf’ with equipment and small grants for over 10 years and during that time hundreds of children have been supported to study and live lives where they can engage and function in ways that would not be possible in their previous settings.
- Exeter Ethiopia Link also supported the setting up of a Learning Disability Unit for younger children at the School for the Deaf, with funding for furniture and resources.